1. Shut down Firefox completely (File > Exit).
2. Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on Windows XP, move the profile from
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
or Windows 7:
If you are reading these instructions because you want to restore a previously backed up profile, this step isn't necessary. Just note the current location of the profile you want to restore.
3. Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the application data folder for Thunderbird:
* On Windows Vista/XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\
* On Windows Vista and Seven, the path is %systemdrive%\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
* On Linux, the path is ~/.thunderbird/
* On Mac OS X, the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Thunderbird/
4. In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just moved. Change the Path= line to the new location. If you are using a non-relative pathname, the direction of the slashes may be relevant (this is true for Windows XP). Example:
5. Change Isrelative=1 to Isrelative=0.
6. Save profiles.ini and start Firefox.